The Canadian Museums Association (CMA) is pleased to announce a public call for applications for the Young Canada Works at Building Careers in Heritage (YCW-BCH) program for graduate internships, to start this fall. The call for applications is part of the Minister of Canadian Heritage’s mandate “to increase funding for the Young Canada Works program to help prepare the next generation of Canadians working in the heritage sector.” To read the Call for Applications, please click here.
With this new investment, the CMA will create an additional 154 internships* in Canadian museums, galleries and related organizations. Organizations that are interested in applying are encouraged to review the program’s guidelines and resources below before submitting an application online. The employer application deadline is July 21, 2017. *Please note that of the 154 internships created, a minimum of 75 new projects will be funded for this Call for Applications.
To fulfill program requirements, the priorities of this call for YCW-BCH applications include:
- Employers with a mandate related to cultural heritage
- Indigenous employers
- Employers hiring young Indigenous graduates
- Indigenous heritage projects
- Projects relating to Canadian history and/or the 150th anniversary of Confederation in 2017
(Applicants satisfying one or more of these priorities are encouraged to identify the priority in the application proposal.)
General YCW-BCH requirements
Approved YCW-BCH projects and employers must meet the general criteria of the program. In all cases, successful YCW-BCH internships:
- Are intended for post-secondary graduates who have graduated within the past 24 months and who meet the YCW-BCH youth participant eligibility criteria;
- Can receive up to $10,000 in financial support from YCW. YCW-BCH normally contributes between 25 and 50 percent of employment costs (wages, benefits and other eligible expenditures) and may, as warranted, contribute up to 75 percent of employment costs. Applicants are expected to make financial and in-kind contributions totalling at least 50 percent of the overall project costs;
- Must be scheduled for a minimum of 4 months, starting no earlier than October 1, 2017 and ending no later than March 31, 2018; and
- Must offer 30 to 40 hours of work per week. Part-time employment is permitted for candidates with a disability.
Useful resources for applicants
Applicants are encouraged to review resource material and to contact CMA’s program staff for any required clarification. Resources include:
- CMA’s website – for YCW employers section.
- YCW Employer Guide
- YCW-BCH Eligibility Criteria for Employers.
- YCW-BCH Eligibility for Graduates.
- Selection Criteria for YCW-BCH Canadian Internships.
- CMA Blog post for Building a Better BCH application.